Overview of Pre-Construction Services
At Bell Construction Company, pre-construction services are offered before the actual construction of a project begins. These services are critical elements of modern commercial construction projects and we use them to support owners, architects, and engineers in making decisions.
Pre-construction services are part of the pre-construction planning stages of a construction project. We feel they are very important to make sure any job goes smoothly. The pre-construction phase occurs before breaking ground at a construction site. During pre-construction, contracts, business leaders, and decision-makers will conduct a final project assessment to ensure it progresses smoothly.
Our pre-construction services include everything from an initial client meeting to plans, schedules, studies, value engineering, permitting, land acquisition, site assessment, plan take-off, conceptual estimating, project budget development, project schedule development, and more. Our construction manager will help the project owner know what to expect and when, by providing a detailed analysis, planning, design, and establishing needs for the construction process.
Our pre-construction services help ensure that our projects are completed on time and within budget.
Benefits of Pre-Construction Services
Pre-construction services offer numerous benefits to construction projects of every scope and size. Here are some of the benefits of our pre-construction services:
- Establishing a Clear Plan: Pre-construction services help define the project scope and create a reasonable timeline to ensure clarity and establish clear objectives.
- Reduction in Costs: Pre-construction services allow one to set an accurate budget and make changes before the project’s inception, which can help reduce costs,
- Budget Estimation: Pre-construction services assist in developing, maintaining, and/or improving the project’s budget and schedule.
- Improved Design and Functionality: Pre-construction services evaluate materials and systems in each phase of the pre-construction process, and assist in making decisions that will yield the maximum return for the budget. Using Building Information Modeling (BIM), a team can virtually construct projects prior to the actual work and solve challenges before they become costly issues in the field.
- Assesses the Feasibility of the Project: Pre-construction services help determine the constructability of a project and develop detailed construction schedules that are realistic and successfully meet the project’s needs.
- Fewer Change Orders and Project Savings: Pre-construction services help ensure that projects are completed on time and within budget, which can lead to fewer change orders and project savings.
Overall, Bell Construction Company’s pre-construction services help ensure that construction projects are completed on time, within budget, and with the highest quality possible.
Key Components of Pre-Construction Planning
At Bell Construction Company, we feel pre-construction planning is a critical step in the construction process that involves defining the project’s entire scope and schedule for the construction team and the client. The pre-construction phase includes creating a strategic plan for the project, creating a design, securing permits or entitlements, and gathering the labor and resources required for construction.
Here are the key components of pre-construction planning:
- Project Scope: Defining the main deliverables of the construction project broken down by stage and specialty.
- Budget: Developing, maintaining, and/or improving the project’s budget and schedule.
- Details: Evaluating materials and systems in each phase of the pre-construction process, and assisting in making decisions that will yield the maximum return for the budget.
- Team: Forming a team of designers, architects, contractors, and subcontractors who can complete the project on time and under budget.
- Materials: Identifying potential issues and analyzing the job’s needs.
- Permits and Inspections: Securing permits or entitlements and ensuring compliance with regulations.
- Planning and Scheduling: Creating a construction timeline and developing a detailed construction schedule that is realistic and successfully meets the project’s needs.
Given our years of experience, we have found the pre-construction planning phase to be critical to a project’s success. A good plan can head off a world of change orders and budget increases. The more detailed the pre-construction process, the greater the chance the project has for timely completion.