Overview of General Contracting
General contracting is a construction delivery method where a general contractor is responsible for overseeing a construction project from start to finish. The general contractor is responsible for coordinating all tasks in the construction project, managing schedules, and ensuring that the project stays on track. They supervise part or all of numerous construction projects, such as commercial, industrial, and residential buildings.
A general contractor communicates with all parties involved in the project, including the owner, architects, engineers, contractors, and subcontractors, to ensure that everyone is on the same page throughout the project. They manage project costs by providing accurate cost estimates, identifying cost-saving opportunities, and ensuring that the project stays within budget.
A general contractor also ensures that the project is completed on time by developing a realistic project schedule, monitoring progress, and identifying potential delays. They ensure that the project meets the required quality standards by monitoring the construction process, identifying potential issues, and implementing quality control measures.
General Contracting with Bell Construction Company
Since 1984, Bell Construction Company has been providing our clients with general contracting services. As general contractor, we assume responsibility for a project once precise design criteria have been set forth by plans and specifications. In principle, all general contractors should construct buildings in accordance with the plans and specifications, and should complete them on time and within budget. In reality, this is not always the case.
Bell Construction Company sets itself apart from its competitors by strict adherence to plans and specifications by closely monitoring not only the work by our forces, but also the subcontractor’s work and supplier’s materials. We achieve this objective while conserving finances and ensuring that schedules are met to satisfaction.
Bell Construction Company’s Skills as a General Contractor
To be a successful general contractor, we feel we possess several key skills that are necessary to being a good general contractor. Here are some of our key skills.
- Business Awareness: Being commercially aware is an essential skill that we have developed over the years to stay ahead of the competition. Commercial awareness means being up to date with the latest industry trends, knowing what projects are in high demand, and understanding the impacts of current affairs on the construction sector.
- Communication Skills: We have strong communication skills to effectively communicate with all parties involved in the project, including the owner, architects, engineers, contractors, and subcontractors.
- Organizational Skills: We are highly organized to manage projects and crews, meet deadlines, and ensure customer satisfaction.
- Customer Service Skills: Our customer service skills are solid for ensuring that clients are satisfied with the work done and to maintain a positive reputation.
- Problem-Solving Skills: We are able to identify potential issues and take corrective action to ensure that a project stays on track.
- Time Management Skills: We are able to manage our time effectively to ensure that a project is completed on time.
- Project Management Skills: Given our experience and project results, we definitely have strong project management skills to oversee the entire construction process, from pre-construction to project completion.
- Technical Knowledge: We also possess a good understanding of construction techniques, materials, and equipment to ensure that a project is completed to the highest standard.
- Physical Endurance: Construction work is physically demanding, and we know we have to have the physical endurance to handle the demands of the job.